Capt. John Dolan joined the British merchant navy as a Deck Cadet with BP Shipping and spent 11 years at sea working on oil tankers.
John returned to university for two years and graduated with a Master’s Degree in Science in International Shipping.
He built on his technical and academic experience by becoming a ship manager and for the next 23 years, he worked in most of the key functions and senior roles in ship management including commercial, marine, safety, operational and technical positions culminating in 10 years’ experience as General Manager / Director level of two large shipping companies.
During this period, he was also a Board member of the International Chamber of Shipping where he represented Ireland for five years.
Today, as Deputy Director, Loss Prevention at The Standard Club he shares his experience and knowledge with underwriters, claims personnel and club members on a daily basis.
- Joined Charles Taylor – 2015 as Deputy Director of Loss Prevention
- , Master Mariner – senior officer experience on Oil Major tankers / bulk carriers
- Extensive technical and commercial ship management experience – ten years as General Manager / Director
- Marine and technical due diligence / asset protection consultancy services to major shipping finance institutions – four years
- Board member – International Chamber of Shipping – Ireland representative – six years